World Down Syndrome Day 3:21!
21 March 2020 marks the 15th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day. Each year the voice of people with Down syndrome, and those who live and work with them, grows louder.
Down Syndrome International encourages our friends all over the world to choose your own activities and events to help raise awareness of what Down syndrome is, what it means to have Down syndrome, and how people with Down syndrome play a vital role in our lives and communities.
All people with Down syndrome must have opportunities to contribute to the community and live valued lives, included on a full and equal basis with others, in all aspects of society.
People with Down syndrome can and do bring so much to the community, wherever they live around the world, when given the opportunity.
But many are prevented from making meaningful contributions.
On World Down Syndrome Day, Wednesday 21 March 2020, we call upon every person with Down syndrome to tell the world what you bring to your community.
Working with our global network, the campaign will:
- Explain how people with Down syndrome can and do make meaningful contributions throughout their lives, whether in schools, workplaces, living in the community, public and political life, culture, media, recreation, leisure and sport;
- Explain how negative attitudes and a lack of knowledge about their potential as individuals prevent people with Down syndrome from having opportunities to make contributions;
- Empower people with Down syndrome (and those supporting them) to advocate for their rights and opportunities to make meaningful contributions and
- Reach out to key stakeholders including educators, employers, public authorities, media and the wider community to ensure they see the benefits of enabling people with Down syndrome to make meaningful contributions and encourage these stakeholders to bring about change and disseminate this message.
You can take part simply by sharing details of WDSD activities or by photos, messages, quotes or in any way you choose, using the hash tag #WhatIBringToMyCommunity as well as #WDSD18.
Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) pictures of your child with friends and actively participating in their community (sports, employment, volunteering, clubs, etc…) to be included in a video celebrating our members on #WDSD2020!
Check out the 2015 Community Champions honored this year and years past!
2014 Community Champions
2013 Community Champions
Perform random acts of kindness to celebrate WDSD
DSG encourages our members to generate awareness and acceptance within our community by doing Random Acts of Kindness and leaving one of the cards below behind with a note on the back about your loved one with Down syndrome. Create a movement of kindness for one another and be sure to share your pictures on social media for others to see.
Download and print random acts of kindess cards above here.
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
More ways to create a social media buzz!
- Share 31 Facts About Down syndrome!
- Make a donation of $3.21 to DSG!
- Shop the DSG Awareness SWAG Store!
- Support DSG EVERYDAY by being a volunteer!
- Join D.A.D.S. KC!
- Buy Tri-21 Custom Blend coffee!
- Change your profile picture to +1TM #plus1 - Download
DOWNLOAD A COVER PHOTO